In Feb this year, there were some things which I wanted to work towards to.
I've already accomplished one of them, which is to complete my Advanced Sign Language class. It sure feels a bit weird not having to attend classes every thursday at SAdeaf anymore. My signing is also deteriorating coz of lack of practise. Occasionally I'd visit Wesley Methodist Church to attend their Praise and Worship Service which has interpretation for the deaf during their worship service.
I didn't take up the tuition assignment for hearing-impaired children afterall. Because I was afraid that I would fail them.
After delaying for months, I've finally committed to attend the Certificate in Practical Counselling (Basic) at Academy of Human Development (http://www.ahd.com.sg/). Initially, the main reason why I wanted to learn conselling was coz i felt that it would really enhance my role as a mentor in my ministry. You'noe, the whole direction towards moving to become a specialised mentor and such, so that we can develop our Youth Ministry? Well, of coz things changed as time went on. I'm no longer a mentor, and definitely no longer need to be "specialised". But though the purpose of me learning it may have changed, I figured that it really wouldn't hurt to learn something more for self-development. And in this time and age where more n more people are seeking counselling help, it would also help me to at least be a better listener to the people around me.
I just attended the first class last thursday. The class was made up of different personalities from different backgrounds. It was really interesting learning from the trainer who was a social worker and counsellor at a Family Service Centre. She had a lot of experience to share, and it helps that she was quite dramatic in her sharing. hee. There're a lot of things in counselling that one should/should not do, and yet it differs with each situation, each person. I guess a lot comes with experience as well.
First class was about establishing an understanding of the role of a counsellor and the dynamics of the relationship between the counsellor and the client. I like the idea that a counsellor "empowers" the client to find the resource to his/her problem and be able to find a solution.
She also said that a counsellor is not a saviour. Saving people does not help them to learn.
Oh and she also said that it is not advisable for one to counsel his/her own family members because we are part of a system. Explains a lot eh.
Saturday, September 15, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment