Topic: Religiousity
This morning I woke up at 4.30am and waited in the dining hall as the Muslim students trooped in for their breakfast. Some weary-eyed, some jumping about. I don't mind making a little extra effort in getting food for them in the mornings, or even waking up earlier for them, coz I believe that if they're making an effort in fulfilling their religious obligations, I would enable them to do so without obstacles.
But I was just thinking. How many of them are really committed to it, and how many of them are pressured because they are "muslims" and all their other muslim friends are fasting? Not that I'm questioning their convictions or actions, but I think, if I were in their shoes, I would be 1. if i'm not fasting, i'd fast because everyone (muslims and non muslims) kinda expects me to. 2. if i'm fasting, i'd be very encouraged to have a group of like-minded youths who share the same religion as I do and are committed in this process.
which brings me to this whole issue of religiousity.
I think sometimes people place upon people of a different religion, certain preconceptions and expectations. Let's not even talk about inter-religion. Even within Christianity itself, for example, some people try to legitimize rituals. For example, by insisting that baptism has to be by emersion, that worship has to be serious, that prayer has to be done with eyes closed, that grace has to be said before meals...so much so that when someone does not do the above, they are viewed upon with disdain and as "different".
I think visiting different churches has made me see that rituals do not make up a religion. Pharisee-ing things are what people often do. But then, its not what pleases God. It is the heart of man that God sees and is what pleases (or displeases) Him.
That's the beauty of Christianity.
Because it is a very personalised, intimate relationship with our Lord and Father. No 2 relationships are ever the same. Thus, each Christian's walk with Christ, each Christian's journey in his/her faith, each Christian act of worship to God, each Christian's exemplification of their faith differs from another.
Sometimes I fear what people say when they know I'm visiting different churches each week. "Church-hopping" or "Church-shopping", i believe would be the deragatory term used. Well, I must admit that's how I used to view self-claimed Christians who tell me that they don't go to any fixed church. So i totally understand if people view me as such. Of coz I could spend a long time explaining the journey I am on...but really, no one actually really bothers to listen or understand. In their minds, "it's an excuse". (just like how everytime I try to explain to people that I have knee developmental problem and thus unable to do strenous exercise..they'd give me "the chao geng look"....until it has reached a point where I decided I shall no longer bother to justify myself. )
I believe that religion is a very personal matter. And it differs from individual to individual. Really, who are we to judge if one is more spiritual than others. Going to seminary school doesn't make one more spiritual than the other who doesn't go to church. Perhaps, on the surface it may seem as such, perhaps the former may have more biblical knowledge...but really, God's favour upon any one person is not measured by our standards.
Cheerios.
Tuesday, September 25, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
totally agree.. who is to say what is right or wrong? unless of cos what u do clearly violates the word of God, whichever god it might be that u subscribe to..
Rituals are not meant to be binding. They are supposed to be a response, a guide to God. When we serve the rituals and not God that is when we are in danger of playing religion.
At the same time, while Christianity is really a personal walk with God, there is also ordained time when believers gather together, and times where we are exhorted to walk with each other, encourage each other, suggesting that personal relationship is not sufficient, we need to check that the relationship with God is correct.
Post a Comment