
Sometimes it takes memories to remind you of your past, your heritage, your roots. Yday I was at Suntec City and I chanced upon a Heritage Fest exhibition. It was wonderful seeing the displays which reminded me of my childhood days. It was amazing hearing parents explain to their children the games they used to play when they were younger, and the things they used to use.
I remember the blackboard and chalk and the terrible screeching sound of the chalk on the board. I remember one of our classroom duties was to dust the duster on this box-liked thingy..or hit the duster on the floor causing the chalk dust to fly everywhere, creating specks on my blue pinafore. :) I remember i would scrap the coloured chalk to make "fairy dust". =) And of coz, there were the amazing pencil boxes that have many compartments inside... or those that with a push of a button, some compartment will pop out. I use to hide my Polly Pocket doll inside.
I think its such collective memories that only Singaporeans share that make us bonded and united as one people. (shit..i can't believed i said that..)
Anyway, in the night, we brought the hostelites out. After their 4-hour long KTV session, we drove ard in a bus. We brought them to see NUS..and of coz, i was hit by nostalgia. How long has it been since I've been back NUS. I think i haven't stepped into NUS since i graduated 3 years ago. I remember the internal buses we used to squeeze up on... i always try to walk instead. its much faster. I remember how i'd pack my timetable so that i'd have lessons one after another, resulting in me having to rush from one faculty to another. NUS was to me, a place where i acquired knowledge. Not friends. I had no time for that. I was always moving from one lecture to another. One tutorial to another. My choice of modules always result in me meeting new people... I hardly ever see the same pple in the same tutorial grp twice. Whatever time I had in between lessons was spent reading the bible, re-writing messy lecture notes, or books related to my modules in the canteen/library/forum. I think i withdrew even more from people during that stage in my life. I was very much alone. But never lonely. I sort of liked it actually.
Anyway, back to the patriotic essence of this post.
We brought the kids to see the esplanade and they were marvelling at it. sorry ar, as a Singaporean, i find it hard to marvel at that structure. But seeing it through their eyes, sort of made me appreciate it more. We had supper at Lau Pa Sat and then stopped by Clarke Quay.
I've never been to clarke quay at 2am before. This was the first time i actually knew where Ministry of Sound is. Or the fact that there's so many differently-theme pubs there. Its really quite cool. heh. and i sound damn sua ku.
anyway, by the time we got back to the hostel, it was 3 am. Me and a few kids went back..while the rest continued on their expedition. :)
It was quite amazing to be travelling around singapore in the wee hours of the morning.
And in a surprising way, it made me appreciate my country more.
1 comment:
You're one patriotic Singaporean... I dun think I had those pencil boxes before. Did you steal mine? :P
Post a Comment