Monday, July 23, 2007

Musings of a HallMaster (season finale)

heh.

So I've spent 7 days in sch. Hallmaster duty is kinda fun...though I think I really slept quite little this week. But it felt like a holiday of sorts. It allowed me an opportunity to communicate with the HK students and understand more about their education system and sorts.

When we went for KTV on saturday, we took the MRT from Tenah Merah to Jurong East Interchange and all throughout the train ride, I sat in between a HK boy and girl. Being stuck (pun intended) in that situation, we got to talk a lot. It was quite entertaining...the boy was from HK polyuni, aged 22, and studies mechanical engineering. He knows what he's gonna do upon graduation, and that is, to get a degree in Sweden, hopefully find a job there, or get a job in Mainland China, because the demand for ME in HK is not too gd. This boy carries himself quite well, and speaks excellent English. The girl aged 19 (turning 20 on 17 August... which makes that the third person i know whose bday falls on 17 Aug), studies Business Information, and hopes to do well enough to get into a local uni in HK.

I got to know about their dreams, their family, their lifestyle in HK, and their view of Singapore.

I do like getting to know people. It's in the building of a deeper relationship that scares me. You dunnoe how much u give of yourself is considered too much, and how much to withhold. You dunnoe how much people will accept you and how much they won't. You dunnoe if your actions are deemed acceptable by others, or condemned. And well...u'noe...all the complications a relationship with another human brings.

Someone once told me. You need to find someone who loves you for who you are, be it in terms of appearance, family background, educational status, character, spirituality... basically all aspects that make me, well, me. But I know how human nature works. We'd never really love a person for who he/she is. There's always something that needs correcting. Something that needs editing. Something that needs criticism.

But I believe a friend is one who loves you for who you are now, and see the greatness in the person's potential.

A friend keeps us grounded and believes in us. Like Ando and Hiro.

When I penned the previous entry about my fav hero being Peter Petrelli, I didn't know he possessed such ability to absorb other people's abilities just by being near them, and being able to draw out a certain trait during certain circumstances.

And I thought to myself, "wow, i could see his potential even from the start!" . hee.

I think we all need people like that around us. People who encourage us towards goodness, who encourage us in our race in life. Who sees us, even when we can't see ourselves.

I remember distinctively a sharing Marc did in the fellowship many years back abt his r/nship with WL (his then-gf, current wife).

He said, "She didn't see me for who I am, but for what I would become."

(accuracy of quote not guaranteed. :) )







No comments: