i·ro·ny (ī'rə-nē, ī'ər-) n. pl. i·ro·nies The use of words to express something different from and often opposite to their literal meaning. An expression or utterance marked by a deliberate contrast between apparent and intended meaning. A literary style employing such contrasts for humorous or rhetorical effect. Incongruity between what might be expected and what actually occurs: "Hyde noted the irony of Ireland's copying the nation she most hated" (Richard Kain). An occurrence, result, or circumstance notable for such incongruity. An occurrence, result, or circumstance notable for such incongruity. Dramatic irony. Socratic irony.
That's what Live Earth concert is all about.
No, don't get me wrong. I believe that something ought to be done about increasing the awareness of society in saving the Earth, protecting Nature, conserving Resources.
To be honest, Geographer though I may be, I no practitioner of the 3 "R"s, unlike my colleague who store empty plastic bottles under her table to bring to the recycling bin, or the other who keep filling the printer with recycled paper, or the other who chides me for using the styrofoam cups to make my coffee rather than my own porcelain ones (too lazy to wash lar).
But I try lar. When i remember. To switch off the lights. Turn the tap smaller. etcetc
But anyway, this is not about confessing about my contribution to global warming.
This is about Live Earth contributing to global warming.
Yup. You're heard (or read) me right.
As quoted from today's Sunday Times, "the last thing the earth needs now is a rock concert." That is so right. A rock concert that runs for 24 hours is sure gonna consume TONS OF energy! I mean, can u imagine the electricity needed to generate those stadium lights, and the sound system? i don't care if its "clean" energy is claimed by the producers. Can u imagine the electricity that is being consumed wholewide as billions of people are tuned in to the concert? People with their television on, their air-conditioning, their fans, their computers, etc....
Sorry, but i don't see how that's gonna save the world man.
And the artistes? I dunnoe how the pop/rock songs they sing have any "Do-your-part-to-protect-the-earth" messages. And MAN, they are probably the worst people to advocate the message. People who fly around in their private jets, who probably own more cars than they need, I mean, come on. What have they done to play their part to save the earth?
Sorry ar, but singing isn't gonna make the temperature go down a few degrees. It isn't gonna seal the hole in the ozone layer. It isn't gonna reduce the amount of greenhouse gases. It isn't gonna stop the trees from falling all around the world. It isn't gonna stop the rivers from drying. It isn't gonna stop people from buying more cars.
Sure, it increases awareness. I like their SOS adverts that intersperse the concerts. I mean... that's probably the ONLY thing closely related to increasing public awareness of what this concert is all about.
So yay. let me applaud their efforts.
I'm so gonna save the earth by not wasting electricity watching the concert.
No comments:
Post a Comment