yday i had dinner with 2 of my closest sisters, R & WL. I'm always excited to meet them because we share a deep spiritual relationship that there's no secret that i wouldn't share with them, and vice versa. I trust them with the thoughts of my mind and the feelings of my heart, and I know that they love me just the way I am, that they would keep me in their prayers, just as I keep them in mine. There's this level of comfort being able to be just who I am with them, knowing that they know when i'm just teasing and when i'm just out to irritate, and when i'm just tired (not disinterested ... =) ).
How this friendship began, I don't even remember. But it's not a friendship that dates back many years...we probably only got together when WL came over to TSBC in 2005. So it has just been 2 years, but it seems like we've been friends forever. I guess I must attribute it to the spiritual connection we share, and the level of transparency and openness in our conversations. Authentic, genuine relationships take both parties to be willing to be real, sincere and forthright. That is what I treasure most in the relationship we share.
When I first got to know WL, I looked upon it as my duty to be nice to her simply because she was the gf of a good friend, and that since she was coming over to our church from hers, i ought to be hospitable. But over time, I remember the resentment i felt towards her for penetrating into my ministry and winning over the hearts of my girls. In fact, bitterness was how I felt towards her.
But my retreat in 2005 taught me about reconciliation. Through my sister (the one by blood..haha), God taught me the importance of seeking reconciliation. I realised my mistake in viewing the ministry of God in such a narrow-minded, possessive, self-centered way. And I realised i was wrong in harboring a secret resentment towards her.
So when i went back to Singapore, I called WL out for breakfast one morning at Burger King at Raffles Place MRT. We sat there and talked, and I confessed to her how I had been feeling towards her and sought her forgiveness. It wasn't easy at all for me to utter those words. Me, the proud one. But it sure broke down all the walls between us as we prayed together.
And we have been great friends ever since.
Quoted from an sms WL sent this morning:
WL: Hey sis, thanks for the wonderful time last night. With our varied personalities, God brings us together as good friends and sisters. I guess though we cannot be bothered to update one another about everything, at least for me, haha, there is a trust and love among us I am truly thankful for.
I am thankful too.
Wednesday, April 18, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment