Am on a 3 day Leadership Certification Course... which basically certifies staff to be able to conduct leadership training for students. Besides the fact that I have to work harder than normal days, as I'm expected to come in early to set up the room, and end late to clear up the room ...PLUS fulfill my work responsibilities and other deadlines to meet, I had to also entertain our American trainers.
Yesterday we brought them for seafood at Stadium Walk. Its a very nice place. The first time I was there, a friend brought me to Cosy Bay. This time I get to eat at Jumbo seafood. teehee. for free. Entertaining the guests was a new experience for me. I'm not really the "small-talk" kind of person, so i was kinda wary about having to meet them and entertain them. But surprisingly, it was rather enjoyable. Perhaps it was because the trainers were very sociable and sincere . It really does take 2 to get a conversation flowing.
Anyway, today we learnt about our Leadership Philosophy, as well as Servant Leadership.
We did the Myer-Briggs personality test, and true to my nature, I'm a ISFJ. which basically translates to a tendency towards Introversion, Sensing, Feeling and Judging. In short ISFJs are :
"Quiet, friendly, responsible and conscientious. Committed and steady in meeting their obligations. Thorough, painstaking, and accurate. Loyal, considerate, notice and remember specifics about people who are impt to them, concerned with how others feel. Strive to create an orderly and harmonious environment at work and at home"
Which fits exactly into my DISC profiling.
So i'm really who I am...be it at work, or in the general context. cool eh. heh
I took down some notes as the workshop went on. Thoughts of leadership, about my own style of leadership, my own failings as a leader, on what makes a leader.
One of the participants said something during the discussion on servant leadership that rang home a message. She said that servant leaders draw people not to themselves but to a greater cause. Most servant leaders have a spiritual aspect. Think of examples of servant leaders.... Harriet Tubman, Ghandi, Mother Theresa, Martin Luther King, Jesus, Mohammad, etc. They all have this spiritual aspect. They are not in it for themselves, they ask for nothin in return, but they are in it for the people they serve. They have the vision and foresight to empower their followers to go on even in their absence. They don't stand on a pedestal and dish commands but is one with the people. they work with their people to accomplish the goal.
Being a servant leader is something I endeavour to be.
Humble yet not trodden. Serving, yet with dignity. Having a belief and respect for one self.
Monday, April 9, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment