Over the weekend, the family was invited to the wedding ceremony of a friend of my sister's. My sister has known her since JC days, and they were studying together in Perth. Well, I guess she has sort of become a family friend. My mum loves her. haha. It was a beautiful wedding... as all weddings are. The solemnization ceremony, the music, the exhortation, the thank-you speeches... most weddings have similiar structure, yet each are unique and special in their own ways.
It reminded me of last Sunday's sermon when Rev Tony Yeo preached on the passage from Nehemiah 13:1-3.
He touched on two points. Let me just share the 1st point which is relevant to my post topic.
1) Say Yes to Seperation, Say No to Compromise.
This is in regards to mixed-faith marriages. The OT is filled with the tragic history of God's people who repeatedly failed to seperate themselves from the ungodly ways of their neighbours. We need to be geared to the times, and yet anchored to the Rock. Coincidentally, the pastor also touched on the 3 "M"s.
I first heard of the 3 "M"s when my sister shared it with me a number of years back. I remembered i was having a phone conversation with her when she shared with me the 3 "M"s of dating.
Master, Mission, Mate. Know your Master, know who u serve. Know your mission, know where He's bringing you to, what His calling is for you. And then look for a mate that is spiritual and godly, and will complement you in what God has called you to.
I've kept these 3Ms in my heart ever since I heard it, coz I believed it to be wise counsel. In fact, I've shared it with a number of my youths as well.
Church weddings are very special. I love the way the couple make a convenant before God and men to cherish and love the person before them. I love the way the couple do something special before the Lord. In this case, the couple shared their first prayer as husband and wife. At Em's wedding, they knelt at the altar and the pastor blessed them. Some light the unity candle. Whatever it is, i think its a very special moment shared by three persons: God and the couple.
When I was young, I always believed in fairy-tales. I believed in happily-ever-after endings. I believed that love conquers all. But as I grew older, I realised that happiness takes a lot of effort. Harmony cannot be taken for granted. Blissfulness doesn't materialise out of nothingness.
But yet, I believe that when God take centre-place in a marriage, in a family, and when both are willing to make an effort, to love as in 1 Cor 13, there isn't any problem too big that cannot be resolved.
But if only they are willing.
1 comment:
Hey I heard that sermon too.
Post a Comment