Sunday, February 4, 2007

Andrew wannabe

I recently received an email from a brother, and something he wrote about me stunned me for a moment.

"Shirleen loves the Lord. Another unwilling leader, she took upon herself to learn from the Apostle Andrew. Andrew, the disciple of few words and more deeds. It was Andrew who led Peter to Christ, and while Peter may get all the limelight for being the most prominent and eloquent of the Twelve, Andrew connects to the crowd one-to-one. And such is the same for Shirleen. She touches lives one by one. She could never stand superficiality and artificiality, and yearns deeply for genuine relationships. She is deeply sensitive and insightful into the hearts and motives of people, and yet never use this perceptiveness to despise those around her, despite every right to. The melancholic personality that the Lord gives her compels her to always hold a holy dissatisfaction with the status quo. She chose not to express that by words of mouth, but words of pen, and with that pen she writes, driven by the zeal for the Lord."

So why did this stun me? Because about 3 months ago, on 27 Oct 2006, I wrote this in my weekly reflection submission to my mentor:

"Am also reading Twelve Ordinary Men by John MacArthur. So far, I’ve read on Peter, Andrew, James, John and Philip. I’ve always liked Peter, because he reminds me of myself, how I was in the past. Reckless, loud, self-assured in my faith, yet unable to withstand the testing … and how Jesus assured him and used him despite his failings. However, the character that struck me the most out of my reading is Andrew. Andrew, the one who brought Peter to Christ; the one who did not seek to be the centre of attention; the one who was willing to be a supporting actor, the one who was able to see immense value in small and modest things (like in the boy with 5 loaves and 2 fish). Andrew saw the value of individual people. He saw the value of insignificant gifts. He saw the value of inconspicuous service. Quoted from the book: “Thank God for people like Andrew. They’re the quiet individuals, laboring faithfully but inconspicuously, giving insignificant, sacrificial gifts, who accomplish the most for the Lord. They don’t receive much recognition, but they don’t seek it. They only want to hear the Lord say, “Well done.” I want to be a Andrew. I don’t need eulogies at my funeral where people come up to extol my virtues, I want God to tell me when I meet Him, “Well done, good and faithful servant”. That is what should matter. "

okie... I'm sure he didnt see the weekly reflection which I gave to Tim. And i seriously can't remember if i made any comments about the apostle Andrew to him before, except that i LOVE the character of Andrew and thus wanna call my small group Andrew.

I'm speechless.

No comments: