China Reflections Part 2
I met a number of new people on this trip.
And if i could find adjectives to describe these amazing people I've met, it would be passion and commitment.
I've met Singaporeans who have given up their familiar lives and homes in Singapore to serve and work in a foreign land. I've heard them share about their vision, their work, the things they have done and are doing and will be doing. I probably be unable to fully understand the intricities of their work, of the way they work with the gvmt, with the different arms in China's society, but I see the joy which they have in what they do.
The way they give of themselves to the poor people in the villages. The time and effort spent travelling up to the villages, sometimes battling cold weather, just to help them through the work of community penetration. Coming up with projects and systems to help improve their lives.
Sharing over dinner and later over at their office was one of the most edifying nights I had on the trip. It didn't matter than I had to walk 30mins back to my hotel at night (coz the bus stops running at 9pm, and I didn't want to pay for a cab) in the chilling weather, because my heart was ablazed with what they shared. That night I thought through over and over again about their heart for the people and all I could do was pray for them.
I met also a local chinese female principal who shared with us how she gave up her whole life savings and entire life to sustain the school in which she is serving at now, how she perservered despite the many difficulties the gvmt gave them coz they were a private school, how she sold her house to save on rent so that she can buy more equipment for the school, and is now residing in the premises of the school.
I dunnoe how to articulate how hearing the sharing of these people made me feel.
But isn't it just amazing that there are such people who live for reasons beyond their own interests, who live for the purpose of serving mankind, who live to bring glory to God.
Thursday, January 3, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Sorry were you on a mission/school trip or vacation?
The Lord has given you a compassionate & praying heart. Maybe one day you'll leave ur familiar life and home to serve/work in a foreign land,leaving aside own interests, and live for the purpose of serving JESUS to bring glory to God.
But when he saw the multitudes, he was moved with compassion on them, because they fainted, and were scattered abroad, as sheep having no shepherd. Then saith he unto his disciples, The harvest truly is plenteous, but the labourers are few; Pray ye therefore the Lord of the harvest, that he will send forth labourers into his harvest. Mat9
Post a Comment