Thursday, January 10, 2008

Beauty World

I caught Beauty World (http://www.beautyworldthemusical.com/) on Tuesday with the folks.

Some post-musical thoughts.

Elena Wang who played Ivy has an amazing voice. Great quality and u can totally catch what she's singing, because she has great enunciation. Even tho I thought her character was really boring ...

Irene Ang really brought out the character of Ah Choo well. She provides comic relief, and really, if not for her character, I think the musical would be quite a drag.

Daren Tan's singing leaves much to be desired. I dunno if he's singing it this way because of his Ah Beng character, or because he personally can't articulate his words properly. One thing to note for Singaporeans singing English songs is diction and knowing how to enunciate the words properly. It was really quite a pain hearing him sing. In character or not.

I thought the props were great. The band was fantastic! The way the conductor orchestrated the band waving his maracas was hilarious. And of coz the band's costumes that matched the cast was really appropriate. I loved watching the way the conductor shake his booties. haha

What I love about this musical are all the group acts. Not so much the solo scenes, but those scenes where all the characters are on stage doing a piece. Like when all the cabaret singers and men sing and dance in the Beauty World scenes. Really nicely choreographed. :)

Anyway, with the amount I paid for watching Beauty World, I'd rather watch Dim Sum Dollies again and again.

But hey, another musical to add to my list of "Have watched" musicals in my lifetime. ;)

No comments: