I've always been proud of my sister. Even in primary school, she would be the primary 6 gal with friends surrounding her, while I'd be the quiet one eating at the canteen with a friend. She's everything I'm not. She used to be what I always aspired to be. A people-person, sociable, driven, patient, wise. I used to want what she have. Freedom & independence, mostly. I'm still very proud of her, but without the envy of wanting to be her. Coz I'm my own person now.
I think the years have brought us much closer. She being away for the past 11 years didn't really help bridge the distance between us. But her decision to return to S'pore for a year before she got married really did improve our relationship. I liked having someone who I can just call to go out shopping or watch movies with. I liked sitting on her bed and watch her as she got dressed to go out. I liked that the whole family can have dinner together. I liked going to church together with mum, dad and her.
I think our relationship strengthened even after her marriage. Her presence (thru' phone calls and smses) during one of the most difficult times in my life was my pillar of support. Knowing that someone truly understands and knows the situation comforted me.
I love my sister.
I believed God has blessed me so much by allowing me to be her little sister.
Happy Belated Birthday jie. :)
1 comment:
Gosh, you made my eyes water while reading this in my office. Good thing no one walks in now. Yes, i cant be more thankful for a sister God given me through you. Your gift was my favourite. I wore it immediately and I know it cost you a fortune (Cos the receipt was in the bag :P) but it's more than the price tag that touched me and made it my fav gift for my 30th.
Post a Comment