
by Clay Aiken
Over the weekend, I finished this memoir by Clay Aiken. This book was newly bought while I was hanging around Raffles City on Friday, waiting for the Sistic ticketcharge system to be ready.
It was truly inspirational.
I've always rooted for Clay when he was competing in American Idol, simply because he was different. Not your typical pop star, for there was about him something very down-to-earth. Plus, he has an amazing voice. No one can deny that. I loved the bespectacled boy-next-door who went up there each week just to do his thing - sing.
This book just reinforces the reason why I love Clay.
The book was honest and real. He talked a lot about his mother, about the pain and hurt he experienced as a child seeking acceptance, he talked about his birth father and his family that cared less about him, he talked about why he changed his surname, he talked of how he was often bullied as a child, he talked of his initial selfish reasons for working with the YMCA, he talked of how a child taught him how he could make a difference, he talked about his struggles and joys of working with a classful of autistic children, he talked of living in L.A, he talked of times he felt purposeless in what he does, he talked of how his mother's words ground him, he talked of friendships, those that lasted thru the years, and those that miraculously emerged upon his fame, he talked of the reality of the industry, he talked of the importance of being a role model, he talked of how he doesn't smoke or drink, he talked of his faith, he talked of his future plans, he talked of the Buble/Aiken foundation.
Here's a quote from the book:
"There were so many kids in this world who could use another person looking out for them. Someone who will help them to discover their strengths and rise above their weaknesses. Someone who offers another opinion of their worth.
Why not me?
I know you cannot win every battle. Not every child can be saved. But this does not give you an excuse not to try. If you quit, all is lost. In the end, you can't give up on people, because you never know what marvel lies underneath."
I think young people need role models like that.
No comments:
Post a Comment