Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Happy 31st Anniversary

Today's my parents' 31st Wedding Anniversary. I wonder if they even remembered. Or perhaps they did..but chose not to mention it. Or perhaps there would come a time in one's marriage where dates like anniversaries do not matter anymore. Or perhaps when the whole romantic concept of love is replaced by something more practical.

My parents have come a long way. Perhaps more than what I have seen or experienced from my perspective, as their daughter.

They have taught me that marriage is indeed filled with ups and downs...and the downs can be real deep downs. They have taught me the need for communication, without which assumptions will be made which invariably create a crack which will only be wedged wider by MORE assumptions coupled with unspoken expectations. They taught me the importance to need to be tolerant, understanding and to make the first move in seeking reconciliation. They taught me what it means to love someone with all his/her flaws and weaknesses and failures. They taught me that sometimes what keeps a relationship going is not merely feelings, passion, love.... it incorporates responsibilities, rationality, ties, and other things I'd probably not fully comprehend til I become a wife myself.

Someone once said that when we love someone, we also need to realise that the person's love language may not be similiar to ours, and that doesn't undermine his/her love. But I feel that if one person really loves another, he/she would desire to understand the other person's love language so as to show love in a way that the other party is able to receive that love in the way that he/she would love to be loved. . I believe love involves a change in self. Not a change in who he/she is innately, but a change in order to please the other party. A willing change, I might add. Unwillingess never works.

This whole love and relationship issue is something I can never fully fathom. Maybe it's because man, in general, are such complex creatures.





No comments: